Tau Ty of Ecclesia Gnostica Universalis (Sam Webster) is a writer, Thelemite, and Adept of the Golden Dawn tradition, as well as an initiate of Wicca. Webster holds a Master of Divinity degree from the Starr King School for the Ministry at the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley. He is notable as one of the pioneers of open source religion, the use of the open source paradigm in the field of spirituality.
He is a well-known writer in the pagan and occult communities, having had his works published in many topical magazines and journals, including Green Egg, Mezlim, Gnosis and PanGaea magazines. Many of his essays on Pagan Dharma and Thelema have also been made available online. In 2001, he was the subject of Modern Pagans – An Investigation of Contemporary Ritual, a feature article in the counter-cultural journal RE/Search.
He has founded (or cofounded) several occult and pagan organizations, including the Chthonic-Ouranian OTO (1985), and the Open Source Order of the Golden Dawn (2002). He currently directs Academy Arkadia, a school of the pagan magical arts, sponsors the Twilight Gathering, and serves the Pagan community as a priest of Hermes.
One of Webster’s earliest and most widely read works is his 1986 Epilogue to Israel Regardie’s Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites & Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order.
He has also authored numerous essays. Many of these essays were originally published in Green Egg, Mezlim, Gnosis and PanGaea magazines.
- Constellation, 1984.
- Abyss and Back, 1988.
- A metaphor is something like a bucket, 1988.
- What’s Crowley got to do with Thelema, Anyway?, 1988.
- The Rite of the Milk of the Stars, 1990.
- The Spell of Ra-Hoor-Khuit in Mezlim, Beltane 1990.
- The House of Khabs in Mezlim, Samhain, 1991.
- The Star Child, 1991.
- Process in the Symbolic Re-Creation of the World, 1992.
- Rite of Passage Structure in the Japanese Accession Ceremonies, 1992.
- Changing Society through Ritual, 1993.
- What is Polytheism and how I became Polytheistic, 1993.
- Working Polytheism in Gnosis #28, Spring 1993.
- The World as Lover Working, 1993.
- Structural Implications in the Sepherot, 1994.
- Pagan Dharma in Gnosis #39, Spring, 1996.
- The Bones of Sex and Spirit, 1996.
- Why I call Myself Pagan, 1999 in Reclaiming Quarterly
- Pagan Dharma 2 in PanGaea, 1999.
- A Thelemic Ganachakra, 2001.
- Entering the Buddhadharma, 2002.
- Preliminary notes towards an understanding of the Neophyte Hall in the Open Source Order of the Golden Dawn., 2002.
- Towards a General Theory of Divination, 2002.
- Ritual, Magick & How Pagans will Save the World, 2004.
- The Pagan Agenda, 2005.
- Brooks, Andrew. Beltane Keynote Speaker Urges Pagan Revival in The Oberlin Review, April 21, 2006.
- Free Encyclopedia of Thelema (2006). Sam Webster. Retrieved June 1, 2006.
- Magliocco, Sabina. Witching Culture: Folklore and Neo-Paganism in America. University of Pennsylvania Press, 2004. ISBN 0812218795
- Vale, V. and John Sulak (2001). Modern Pagans. San Francisco: Re/Search Publications. ISBN 1-889307-10-6
- Sam Webster: Initiate of the Mysteries
- Academy Arkadia
- Chthonic Auranian Templars of Thelema
- Open Source Order of the Golden Dawn